Sunday, August 5, 2012

Time Out for Women

For Christmas this past year, all the Wells kids gave mom the gift of going to "Time Out for Women," a weekend filled with church and inspirational speakers. It was in Spokane, about 2 1/2 hours away from where they live. Part of the gift was that as many daughters as could go would go with her as well. Taneil and I were both unsure if we could go, considering she was living in Nebraska and Kase and I were in the middle of deciding where we were going to be at that time. Mom seemed pretty excited about the gift.

Taneil found a cheap flight, so she was in but she wanted to make it a surprise for mom. Luckily for me, it was Kase that encouraged me to go (of course I WANTED to go, but I was a little unsure of what our financial situation would be, just barely starting a job). I think a text from Makala really helped, asking Kase to let me come since he was so fortunate with his job that he got. And Taneil going probably also helped. We ended up getting a cheap flight through Allegiant, and I went. I decided to jump on board with Taneil's surprise. Unfortunately, Laryn accidentally slipped about 30 minutes before we saw mom. Total accident, and I know she felt bad. But I hear she was pretty excited, jumping up and down and what not. All of the girls were together - it was so fun! Just missing Vard's future wife.
Jen (pregnant with Taylee), Makala, Taneil, Laryn, Haley (with daugher Britlan), Blaire, Me, & Mom


 Spokane in the background. I was thinking we were showing off our bags - wrong picture I guess
The "show off our bag" picture

The theme was "Seek the Good." There were so many wonderful stories about women who have gone through hard times and sought the good. Extremely inspiring, and made me wonder how I can possibly think life is hard or get discouraged at times when I have nothing to even bring me down! No job, kids (nothing negative about kids...just saying), disabilities, or hardships. It really helped me to think positively about every situation, and realize how truly blessed I really am. In every situation, there is good! We just need to seek and find it. John Bytheway came, along with many other influential and church speakers, with wonderful music that really brought the spirit. I loved the program along with being with my family. I get to go to Time Out for Women again in November in Phoenix with my mom, grandma, Aunts, and cousins from my mom's side, which will be wonderful. 

Oh, and Jen got us an awesome deal on lunch. We were supposed to get lunch delivered between speakers on Saturday but they were super late, so she called and got 60% off of our meal. Something I would've attempted as well, but probably wouldn't have gotten the great discount like she did. We did get to do some thrift shopping (Kase's mom loves to thrift shop - I'm getting more into it too) and I did get myself a gold bracelet (I've been looking for one I like that is reasonably priced for years). We got to stay in a hotel all together, go out to eat, etc. It was a lot of fun! Thanks to Haley for the great idea!

And one more thing - mom tried to give each of us $20 for the trip, so we could buy something for ourselves when we went shopping. Well, no one wanted it - we tried to give it back to her and tell her she didn't need to do that - after all, this was HER present! But she insisted. So we decided to put all that money together and buy her a new pair of jeans. I guess Aunt Brenda told her that her jeans were NOT flattering on her. I would agree, but would never tell her that because I didn't think she would care. But I guess she does a little, and wanted us to help her pick out a pair. We found a pair of "Not Your Daughters Jeans" which are expensive, but flatter older women (expensive for a reason, right? :) ). She tried them on and they looked great, but was not going to buy them for the price they were. Well, we decided to buy it while she wasn't looking and give it to her later. She caught us, and would NOT let us buy them. I think we stood there in the store arguing for like 10 minutes. Really helped me to see how stubborn the Wells can be when trying to be kind :) which I see a lot in Kase. Well, we ended up not getting them. But we got them for her for Mothers Day with that money she gave us :) Gotcha, mom!